Chapel Of S. Paul
Photographer: Harrington, John
Medium: Photographic print
"This Chapel is to the left of the entrance to Henry VII.'s Chapel, and accordingly gives us a general view from a point exactly opposite to that from S. Nicholas. the Chapel contains some monuments of interest - among others, one of much beauty to Lewis Robsart, Lord Bourchier, standard bearer to Henry V., 1431, which forms the screen of the Chapel; a cinque cento tomb, with recumbent figures, Sir John Puckering, 1598; and a similar one to Frances, Countess of Sussex, founder of Sydney Sussex College, Cambridge, 1589. One of its most marked features is a colossal figure, seated of James Watt, from the chisel of Sir F. Chantrey."
Westminster Abbey was founded by Edward the Confessor and was consecrated in AD1065. It was rebuilt in the 13th century in the French gothic style, with a nave of great height, flying buttresses and rose windows. The monastery was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1540 and the abbey became the cathedral of the new diocese of Westminster. The abbey is crowded with tombs and monuments to churchmen, scientists, writers, politicians and nobility.
Descriptive letterpress by John Harrington of Brighton from the book 'The Abbey and Palace of Westminster'