Chapels of S. Andrew & S. Michael
Photographer: Harrington, John
Medium: Photographic print
"These Chapels form the East Aisle of the North Transept. A slab, with brass to the memory of Abbot Estney, who died in 1498, which was formerly here, now lies in the North Ambulatory of the Choir. The cumbrous monument which appears at the north end of the Aisle is to Lord Norris, his lady and six sons, 1601. It will be interesting to know that this Lord Norris was the son of Sir Henry Norris, who was beheaded by Henry VIII., through jealousy concerning Anne Boleyn."
Westminster Abbey was founded by Edward the Confessor and was consecrated in AD1065. It was rebuilt in the 13th century in the French gothic style, with a nave of great height, flying buttresses and rose windows. The monastery was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1540 and the abbey became the cathedral of the new diocese of Westminster. The abbey is crowded with tombs and monuments to churchmen, scientists, writers, politicians and nobility.
Descriptive letterpress by John Harrington of Brighton from the book 'The Abbey and Palace of Westminster'