Doorways, Laurence Pountney Hill
Photographer: Dixon, Henry (1820 - 1892)
Medium: Photographic print
Laurence Pountney Hill was named after the church of St Laurence Pountney, which was burned down in the Great Fire and not rebuilt.
"The Church in old times possessed the finest tower and spire within the limits of the City, and was a most conspicuous object in the beautiful view across the river from Bankside."
One of the pediments of these houses "bears the date 1703."
Letterpress by Alfred Marks from 'Photographs of Old London'.