Photographer: Wilson, George Washington
Medium: Photographic print
"Overlooking the city in every direction, upon a lofty rock, stands the castellated fort of Edinburgh, which, by the articles of union, is still kept garrisoned. It consists of a series of fortifications, and has accomodation for 2000 soldiers, with 30,000 stand of arms. The Castle is of great antiquity, and has been the scene of many a contest. So early as 1093 it was beseiged by Donald Bane. It was taken by the English in 1296, retaken and demolished by Randolph in 1313, taken by the Regent from Queen Mary in 1573, by Cromwell in 1650, and by William III. in 1689. Being occasionally the ancient seat of royalty, and having held out amid such times, it is now one of the chief objects of interest in the Scottish capital. Here Lady Glannis was burnt to death - here the noble blood of Argyle was shed in martyrdom - here James VI. was born, and here is carefully preserved the Regalia of the Scottish Crown."
Descriptive letterpress from the book 'Photographs of English and Scottish Scenery' by G W Wilson