Ely Cathedral, West Front
Photographer: Johnson, Edward
Medium: Photographic print
This view shows the Early English Porch of Bishop Eustachius (1198-1215).
"The foundations of the present Cathedral were laid about the year 1082; and it is probable that the massive piers and arches of the south transept belong to that period...A Norman Church rose gradually...and, about 1174, Bishop Geoffrey Ridel completed the nave, with the lower part of the noble tower."
After Bishop Eustachius added the Galilee, Bishop Northwold (1229-1254) removed the Norman apse and extended the choir.
Text by Precentor of Ely W E Dickson from the book 'The Fen and Marshland Churches'.