East Window and Choir, Rock of Cashel
Photographer: Hemphill, William Despard
Medium: Photographic print
"The window is altogether ruined, and the choir unroofed; Archbishop Magrath's monument is to the right."
The Rock of Cashel is a fourth-century fortified height in the Golden Vale, Tipperary. Cashel was the ecclesiastical capital of Ireland and seat of the ancient Kings of Munster until Brian Boru, High King of Ireland, came to power. In 1101 the Rock was handed over to the Church by Murtogh O'Brien.
Milner Magrath's monument in Saint Patrick's Cathedral "has several figures sculptured in relief, and an epitaph, in Latin, written by himself."
Extracts from William Hemphill's 'Stereoscopic Illustrations of Clonmel'.