Exterior Of Henry VII.'s Chapel
Photographer: Harrington, John
Medium: Photographic print
Exterior of the Lady chapel built by Henry VII at Westminster Abbey from 1503-1519.
"This Chapel - a 'miracle of the world,' as Leland calls it - may be well regarded as 'the glory of its style and age;' not indeed as a specimen of the finest architecture - but as a most perfect and wonderful specimen of a particular style, the last of the Gothic series. The vast multiplicity of detail, and the wild luxuriance of ornamentation, constitute its most striking features. The building of the Chapel occupied about 14 years. To make room for it, the Lady Chapel, founded by Henry the Third in 1220, S. Erasmus' Chapel, built by Elizabeth Woodville, and the White Rose Tavern, were taken down. The foundation stone was laid by Abbot Islip, January 24th, 1502. The whole of the exterior was restored between the years 1807 and 1822."
Descriptive letterpress by John Harrington of Brighton from the book 'The Abbey and Palace of Westminster'