Writer: Tarbotton, Marriott Ogle (1835 - 1887)
Medium: Photographic print
One of eight coats of arms carved in hard red Mansfield stone and attached to the abutments of Marriott Ogle Tarbotton's New Trent Bridge. "The shields are drawn from sketches made by Miss Hind, under the suggestion of Mr. Close - by Mr. W. O. Smith, who also carved them on the stones...They reflect the greatest credit on Mr. Smith."
"The fifth shield, on the eastern side of the Bridge, presents the arms of King Richard II., viz., - quarterly, old France and England, impaling the arms of his first wife the good Queen Anne of Bohemia, quarterly 1st and 4th, or; a spread-eagle, sable, Germany, 2nd and 3rd, gules, a lion rampant, double-tailed, argent, Luxembourg.
These are the arms which, in the times of Thoroton, existed in a window of the south aisle of St. Mary's Church, Nottingham...
This shield therefore commemorates the building of the nave and transepts of St. Mary's Church. It is upheld by an angel, and King Richard's arms on the north front of Westminster Hall are so supported. The support harmonises with the construction and the religious objects of St. Mary's Church."
Text by Marriott Ogle Tarbotton from the book 'History of the Old Trent Bridge'