Photographer: Payne Jennings, John (1843-1926)
Medium: Photographic print
“Fritton Church. – A quaint little edifice dedicated to St. Edmund. It has a round tower, of which there are so many in this county, but so few in other parts of England. A notable point is the chancel, which forms an apse, an unusual thing with Norfolk churches, which are usually square ended. This chancel has another remarkable feature: it has a stone ceiling. It is Norman work, and the whole building probably dates from the 12th Century. Visitors yachting along the Waveney should stop at St. Olaves’ Bridge and visit this church, which stands a mile away and affords a pleasant walk ‘to take the kinks out of one’s legs’ after the confinement on the yacht.”
Letterpress description by Ernest R. Suffling accompanying Plate LXVII from ‘Sun Pictures of the Norfolk Broads’.