Gloucester Cathedral, The Nave, Looking West
Photographer: Wilson, George Washington
Medium: Photographic print
"The Nave is entered by the west door, and presents to the eye a scene of sublimity and grandeur, the appropriate characteristics of the Norman style. It was built by Abbot Serlo between 1089 and 1100. The particular objects which first arrest the attention are the large circular pillars which, on each side, separate the Nave from the Aisles. They are 14 in number, the first pair being about 40 feet from the west door, and measure in circumference 21 feet 4 inches. The original length of the Nave was about 10 and a half feet beyond the last of these pillars, but in 1422 the remaining part, as it now appears, was built by Abbot Morwent. The two pillars which support this new structure differ much in style from the others, being lighter in their appearance and more ornamented. The west end of the Nave is filled with a large perpendicular window of very good design, and is a memorial of the late Bishop Monk. The statue to be seen at the entrance to the South Aisle is that of Dr. Jenner, the discoverer of vaccination."
Descriptive Letterpress from the book 'Photographs of English and Scottish Scenery'