Gloucester Cathedral, Nave, Looking East
Photographer: Wilson, George Washington
Medium: Photographic print
"Six of the eastern arches spring from the capitals of the lower range of short pillars, and each of these have heads supporting slender columns for the ribs of the vaulted roof. Above every great semi-circle are pierced windows to the galleries, divided by thick pillars, and bounded by others with zig-zag arches. The vaulting was not erected by common workmen, but by the hands of reverent monks, who have exhibited considerable humour in their designs. It was finished in 1242, and consists of slightly ornamented arches with richly sculptured key-stones.
The Nave was not always separated from the Choir as now; formerly, instead of the screen on which the organ rests, there stood a loft with a great crucifix, while beneath it was the altar of the holy cross, with a pulpit for preaching in the Nave. The view eastward is somewhat intercepted by the Organ Screen, but beyond the massive piers of the Nave, portions of the light Choir-roof are seen; and the superb glass of the east window terminates the Choir with such a glow of colour as few Cathedrals can display."
Descriptive Letterpress from the book 'Photographs of English and Scottish Scenery'