Goodrich Castle 125
Photographer: Bedford, Francis (1816-1894)
Medium: Photographic print
“One of the most striking beauties of the river Wye, is the tendency which it has to strike out fine circles in its course, sometimes almost as true as if struck by compasses. These amid alternating rocks and woods, and verdant meadows, are not only delightful to the eye themselves, but give to the advancing traveller all the charms of rural beauty. One of these fine sweeps occurs at Goodrich, about four miles from Ross, in Herefordshire, and on a bold promontory encircled thus by the beautiful stream, stand the remains of Goodrich Castle, till the time of the wars of the Commonwealth one of the strongest fortresses of England...The castle is most famous for the stout resistance that it made in 1646, when it was held for the king by Sir Richard Lingen, against the Parliament force under Colonel Birch, to whom, however, it was eventually compelled to surrender...The castle was exceedingly strong, being built on a rock, and of the stone dug out of the ditch, so that the ditch was very deep, and the walls and towers were raised on massive pyramidal bastions, like some of the towers at Chepstow. The nearer approach to the castle was defended by a succession of gates and deep fosses and drawbridges.”
Excerpt from “Goodrich Castle and Court”, in ‘Ruined Abbeys and Castles of Great Britain’ by William and Mary Howitt.