General View, South, From The Palace, Rock Of Cashel
Photographer: Hemphill, William Despard
Medium: Photographic print
The Rock of Cashel is a fourth-century fortified limestone height in the Golden Vale, Tipperary. Cashel was the ecclesiastical capital of Ireland and seat of the ancient Kings of Munster until Brian Boru, High King of Ireland, came to power. In 1101 the Rock was handed over to the Church by Murtogh O'Brien.