General View, Athassil Abbey
Photographer: Hemphill, William Despard
Medium: Photographic print
"Athassil Abbey, now but the remains of a once celebrated priory, is situated on the western bank of the River Suir, about 3 and a half miles from Cashel. It was founded about the year 1200, under the invocation of St. Edmund the king and martyr, for canons regular of the Order of St. Augustine, by William Fitz-Adelm De Burgho, steward to Henry II, and ancestor of the family of De Burgho. He was buried in the abbey a few years after its erection. Richard Earl of Ulster, surnamed the Red, retired to this priory from the world, and was also interred there in 1326.
This view, taken from the north-west, shows the remains of the Choir, Square Tower, Nave, and several detached arches and portions of masonry scattered over a large extent of ground."
Text by William Hempell.