Glen Sannox, Arran
Photographer: Annan, Thomas
Medium: Photographic print
In Chapter X of the book 'History of the County of Bute,' John Eaton Reid provides an outline of "Arran as it now is" to accompany Thomas Annan's photograph of Glen Sannox.
"The old parliamentary roads from Gerton M'Allister, a little south of Lamlash, to Brodick, and from Brodick to Blackwaterfoot, formed in 1811...have been always kept in good repair; as has also the continuation thereof, made in 1817, as far as Sannox, and round the south end to Blackwaterfoot; and the roads through Moniemore Glen, and Glen Scarodale, and to Benan; also the continuation from Sannox to Loch Ranza, which was made in 1843, together with the rough road from Loch Ranza round the west side. Altogether, there are few districts in Scotland better supplied with roads...
Unlike Bute and Cumbray, Arran has decreased in population since last century...The largest exodus took place in the year 1832, when about 500 people embarked for the Bay of Challeur, in the Gulf of St Lawrence, where the Duke of Hamilton had purchased land for them, and where they prospered greatly. Upon their leaving, the three populous hamlets of North Sannox, South Sannox, and Mid-Sannox were entirely depopulated, and the houses soon after disappeared."
Text from the book 'History of the County of Bute' by John Eaton Reid