George Inn Yard
Photographer: Dixon, Henry (1820 - 1892)
Medium: Photographic print
"The introduction of the railways has greatly changed the character of these old inns. The 'George' alone seems now to do any considerable business in the 'receipt of travellers;' in other cases the business of a tavern has superseded that of an inn, and the great courtyards are either being gradually encroached on by warehouses, or have been taken up by railway companies as receiving offices."
The George had "been a good deal modernised since its re-building after the fire of 1676. Its large courtyard is now used as a railway goods office. The east and north galleries have been so boarded up as to lose all their old character."
Letterpress by Alfred Marks from 'Photographs of Old London'.