Photographer: Sedgfield, William Russell
Medium: Photographic print
"At Henley is the chief regatta-course on the Thames, which here widens into a broad straight reach of water, eminently well adapted for boat-racing. The first rowing match at Henley took place in 1829, between two University crews, and ten years later the Henley-on-Thames Royal Regatta was established...The length of the course, from Regatta Island to the bridge, is 1 mile 3 furlongs...The town of Henley and the village of Remenham are united by a handsome stone bridge, of five arches, notable for having its centre arch ornamented with sculptured masks of the Isis and the Thames, the former a youthful female form, looking to the source of the river; the latter, the aged head of a man, symbolical of old Father Thames; crowned with bulrushes, and with fishes' heads protruding through his hoary beard."
Descriptive letterpress from the book 'The Thames Illustrated by Photographs'