Photographer: Mares, Frederick H
Medium: Photographic print
"The Harbour of Kingstown was designed with a view to afford an asylum to vessels frequenting the Irish Channel. The first stone was laid in 1817, by Lord Whitworth, then Viceroy in Ireland. The eastern pier is 3,500 feet in length; the western 4,950. Along the former a delightful and much frequented promenade has been formed; and a similar source of health and recreation is to be made along the latter...A quay, forty feet wide, has been carried along the piers; and a wharf of 500 feet in length has been erected along the breast of the harbour opposite the entrance, where at all times merchant vessels may discharge or receive their cargoes. At the end of the eastern pier is a revolving light, which becomes eclipsed every two minutes; and it is part of the original plan to throw a breakwater across in front of the mouth of the harbour.
With the exception of the Runcorn sandstone used in the construction of the lower parts of the piers, all the materials of this large harbour are of campact granite, brought from Killiney, or, as it is oftentimes called, Rochestown Hill, which is about two miles distant. The estimate of the engineer, the late Mr. Rennie, for the completion of the work, was £801,000; which sum, however, was considerably exceeded.
This harbour is now the station for the Holyhead mail packets; and is considered the finest artificial harbour in the United Kingdom."
Descriptive letterpress from the book 'Photographs of Dublin' by F H Mares