Photographer: Robinson, Henry Peach (1830 - 1901)
Medium: Photographic print
The majestic ruins of Kenilworth Castle built by the Lord Chamberlain and Treasurer to King Henry the First, Geoffrey de Clinton, after the Norman Conquest. King John later added the outer curtain wall and towers to the fortification. In the late 14th century the castle was owned by John of Gaunt, who began its conversion from a fortress into a palace. The Gatehouse was built by Robert Dudley specifically as an impressive entrance for Queen Elizabeth and her Court.