Lancashire Independent College, Withington
Photographer: Brothers, Alfred
Medium: Photographic print
In his book James Croston informs us that the Lancashire Independent College formally opened at Withington in April 1843 following the designs of architect J G Irwin. Croston describes the style as "Gothic of the late fifteenth century or Tudor period...The principal front, which is of three stories, surmounted by an embattled parapet, is 261 feet in length and 40 feet high. At each end is a pavilion-like structure, advanced slightly from the line of the main building, and in the centre is a tower surmounted by an octagonal lantern 92 feet in height, flanked at each angle with buttresses, terminating in crocketed pinnacles that rise above the parapet wall...
The college is supported partly by payments from students, partly by endowments, but mainly by voluntary contributions. It is affiliated with the University of London, and qualifies its students for taking degrees in arts in that University."