Lismore Castle, North
Photographer: Hemphill, William Despard
Medium: Photographic print
"This, the noblest view of the Castle, contains much of the old buildings, also the new works in progress. The Blackwater, as seen in this view, certainly deserves its name."
Lismore Castle "was originally built on the site of the Abbey of St. Carthage by King John, when Earl of Moreton, in 1185...It became for ages the residence of the bishops of the see, until Miler Magrath, Archbishop of Cashel and Bishop of Lismore, before his resignation in 1589, granted it to Sir Walter Raleigh...From Sir Walter Raleigh it was purchased by Sir Richard Boyle, afterwards Earl of Cork, who added much to its beauty...From the Earls of Cork and Burlington it descended to the Dukes of Devonshire."
Extracts from 'Stereoscopic Illustrations of Clonmel'.