Lismore Castle, South
Photographer: Hemphill, William Despard
Medium: Photographic print
"We have here a view of the entire south front, with the garden or pleasure ground, containing a noble specimen of 'Pawlovnia Imperialis,' and some fine evergreen trees and shrubs."
William Hemphill gives an account of the castle's history, "...was originally built on the site of the Abbey of St. Carthage by King John, when Earl of Moreton, in 1185...It became for ages the residence of the bishops of the see, until Miler Magrath, Archbishop of Cashel and Bishop of Lismore, before his resignation in 1589, granted it to Sir Walter Raleigh...From Sir Walter Raleigh it was purchased by Sir Richard Boyle, afterwards Earl of Cork, who added much to its beauty...From the Earls of Cork and Burlington it descended to the Dukes of Devonshire."