Lismore Castle And Bridge
Photographer: Hemphill, William Despard
Medium: Photographic print
"This view of the Bridge, with its graceful arch of 100 feet in span, and the distant buildings, is particularly pleasing. A small canal, which joins the river, is seen in the foreground."
Lismore Castle "was originally built on the site of the Abbey of St. Carthage by King John, when Earl of Moreton, in 1185...It became for ages the residence of the bishops of the see, until Miler Magrath, Archbishop of Cashel and Bishop of Lismore, before his resignation in 1589, granted it to Sir Walter Raleigh...From Sir Walter Raleigh it was purchased by Sir Richard Boyle, afterwards Earl of Cork, who added much to its beauty...From the Earls of Cork and Burlington it descended to the Dukes of Devonshire."
Text by William Hemphill.