Click here to skip to content

Lavatories In The Cloister

Lavatories In The Cloister

Medium: Photographic print

Date: 1867

Shelfmark: 4707.c.23.(2)

Item number: 24

Length: 10.4

Width: 16.8

Scale: Centimetres

Genre: Photograph

The lavatorium in the cloisters at Canterbury Cathedral, where the monks washed before meals. The cathedral was founded in 597 by Saint Augustine and rebuilt in the Romanesque style by its Norman Archbishop Lanfranc. During the first half of the 12th century much was added to Lanfranc's monastery and the nave and cloisters were rebuilt in Perpendicular style in the 14th century by Prior Eastry and Prior Chillenden.

Search within this collection

Elsewhere on our websites

Newsletter

Latest events - register free online