Lambeth Palace, The Water Tower
Photographer: Dixon, Henry (1820 - 1892)
Medium: Photographic print
"This is the stone tower seen on the right of the photograph; that to the left, of brick, being known, traditionally, as 'Cranmer's Tower.' As we now see it, the Lollards' Tower was, in the main, built by Archbishop Chicheley, and completed in the year 1435, though portions of it are of a much earlier date...At the top of the tower is a small room, about 13 feet by 12, and 8 feet high; the walls covered with thick oak, in which are large iron rings. This room was undoubtedly used as a prison. There still remain names and sentences carved in the oak by the occupants of this room."
Letterpress by Alfred Marks from 'Photographs of Old London'.