Melrose Abbey, From The South-West
Photographer: Wilson, George Washington
Medium: Photographic print
"This Abbey was founded in 1136 by King David, and by him dedicated to the Virgin Mary. As a specimen of Gothic architecture and sculpture, it is allowed to be the finest in Scotland; and, notwithstanding the number of times in which it was plundered and much damaged, from the harmony of its parts, and the extent of its remains, it may still be regarded as one of the greatest objects of interest which exist in this country. During the struggle of Scotland for independence, it suffered severely from the English, being in close proximity to the Borders. In 1322 it was plundered by Edward II., but a few years afterwards restored by Robert Bruce. In 1545 it was thrice plundered - latterly by the Earl of Hertford, and finally by Cromwell - nevertheless, it may be considered as the most perfect of Scottish Abbeys at present in existence."
Descriptive letterpress from the book 'Photographs of English and Scottish Scenery' by G W Wilson