Main Street, Gorbals, Looking North, 1868
Photographer: Thomas Annan (1829 - 1887)
Medium: Photographic print
Gorbals was originally known as the village of Bridgend. Annan was commissioned by The City Improvement Trust to document inner-city areas earmarked for demolition and regeneration by an act of Parliament in 1866. In his introduction to 'The Old Closes And Streets Of Glasgow' William Young explains that this newly acquired right "to alter and reconstruct several of the more densely built areas of the city...would remove many old and interesting landmarks."