No. 109. St. John's Gate, Clerkenwell
Photographer: Dixon, Henry (1820 - 1892)
Medium: Photographic print
Saint John's Gate, Clerkenwell, the main gateway to the Priory of Saint John of Jerusalem, now houses the Order of Saint John Museum. It was founded in the 12th century by a Norman Knight, Jorden de Briset.
"The whole of the buildings of the Priory were destroyed by the rebels of Kent and Essex in 1381, in a fire that lasted seven days. Successive priors carried on the work of reinstatement, but it was only in 1504 that Prior Docwra completed the Gate-house shown in the photograph, which formed the great south entrance to the Priory."
Letterpress by Alfred Marks from 'Photographs of Old London'.