102, Leadenhall Street
Photographer: Dixon, Henry (1820 - 1892), A & J Bool
Medium: Photographic print
"The iron gate and courtyard of a very fine mansion, demolished in 1875 or 1876. The house and its contiguous warehouses and courtyards, occupying a great area, were for many years occupied by a firm of wholesale Druggists, Messrs. Baiss Brothers, who always most courteously allowed strangers to see the house. It was no doubt in its day - the beginning of the eighteenth century - the residence of a great merchant. The fittings and decorations of this house were of a very sumptuous character. A great room on the first floor was panelled with cedar; the grand staircase was particularly fine, the landing being of parquetry, and the walls handsomely decorated by Thornhill or his assistants. These wall paintings are now in South Kensington Museum."
Letterpress by Alfred Marks from 'Photographs of Old London'.