Part Of Crypt, AD 1121, Pillar Inserted AD 1177
Medium: Photographic print
One of three stout piers in the crypt at Canterbury Cathedral, fortified by the addition of a half octagon support, with mouldings in the style of architect Wiliam de Sens. These piers bear the weight of the corresponding pillars above in Ernulf's choir.
Canterbury Cathedral was founded in 597 by Saint Augustine and rebuilt in the Romanesque style by its Norman Archbishop Lanfranc. In 1174 a fire destroyed much of choir but left the crypt untouched and therefore remarkably preserved.