Roslin Chapel, the south door
Photographer: Wilson, George Washington
Medium: Photographic print
"This structure of uncommon elegance was founded in 1446 by William St. Clair, Earl of Orkney, and designed to be built in the form of a cross, but was not completed, in consequence of the death of its founder. It is nevertheless in a wonderful perfect condition, and presents a curious and beautiful specimen of Gothic architecture. Of the exterior, its south doorway has been much admired, being formed by ornamented receding arches, over which is an arched portico, springing from abutments in the form of cherubs, waving scrolls and the mouldings of the arches being ornamented with flowers. Water-sprouts, in the form of animals, project over the walls around the building. Not only in architecture is it celebrated, but also in history. It is recorded that, on a neighbouring moor of Roslin on the 24th February, 1303, in three successive battles, the English were defeated by the Scotch under Comyn. For beauty of situation and scenery, also, this ancient structure is scarcely to be surpassed."
Descriptive letterpress from the book 'Photographs of English and Scottish Scenery' by G W Wilson