Photographer: Bedford, Francis (1816-1894)
Medium: Photographic print
“Raglan Castle, as in its greater part it is one of the most recent castles in Monmouthshire, so it must have been one of the most splendid as well as extensive. The ruins, including the citadel, occupy a tract of ground one-third of a mile in circumference. As Churchyard states, who describes the stately fabric as it stood in all its glory in the reign of Elizabeth; it is built of a fine light-coloured freestone which was smoothly dressed, and is beautifully grained. The stone has received little injury from time; most of the elaborately carved masonry remains as sharp and distinct as when first executed and from the parts which, except the roofs, remain entire, you receive a lively idea of its elegance and splendour before it was dismantled by command of the parliament after surrendering to Sir Thomas Fairfax, and before its materials were plundered by the tenants to build houses for themselves...The main part of the castle probably was built by Sir William ap Thomas in the reigns of Henry V. and VI., and his son William Herbert, created by Edward IV. Earl of Pembroke, and Lord of Raglan, Chepstow, and Gower, in 1469. From Dugdale’s account it is scarcely possible to conceive in the present time the magnificence of the castle, and the greatness of the establishment maintained in it by this Earl of Pembroke.”
Excerpt from “Raglan Castle”, in ‘Ruined Abbeys and Castles of Great Britain’ by William and Mary Howitt.