Photographer: Hudson, John
Medium: Photographic print
"Ross Island, or rather peninsula, contains about 158 statute acres, and is connected with the mainland by a bridge and causeway. In summer the morass over which the bridge and causeway are formed is dry, but in winter Ross is isolated. On this island, near the shore, stands Ross Castle, which held out so obstinately, under Lord Muskery, in 1652 against the English, commanded by General Ludlow. The surrender of this Castle terminated hostilities in Munster, and induced about 5,000 Irish to lay down their arms. The conditions of the treaty of Ross Castle were accurately fulfilled by Parliament, by which Lord Broghill was granted £1,000 yearly out of the estates of Lord Muskery.
The Castle was built by the family of O'Donohoe Ross, whose successors resided here for nearly three centuries afterwards. many wild legends are related of this family, the most remarkable attributing to one of its chiefs a septennial return to earth, when he drives his milk-white steeds over the lake at sunrise; his castle being restored by enchantment as he reaches it, but only until the sun appears above the woods.
Ross Castle is now and important ruin. Standing upon a rock, it consists of a lofty square building, with embattled parapets, formerly enclosed by a curtain wall, having round flankers at each corner, the ruins of which are yet visible. The interior possesses some well-proportioned apartments, and from the battlements may be had most extensive views of the Lower Lake, Mangerton, Torc, Glena, the Tomies, the Reeks, and all the surrounding scenery."
Descriptive letterpress from the book 'Photographs of Killarney' by J Hudson