Sir Walter Scott's Monument
Photographer: Wilson, George Washington
Medium: Photographic print
"This elegant monument, erected to the memory of Sir Walter Scott, stands in the East Princes Street Gardens. It was designed by George M. Kemp, an architect unknown to fame, who died before the structure was completed. The foundation was laid in August, 1840, and the building was finished in 1844. It is 200 feet 6 inches in height. Throughout the monument are numerous niches, which were intended to be occupied by statues of the principal characters of Scott's works, but as yet only five, representing Prince Charles, Meg Merrilees, the Lady of the Lake, the Last Minstrel, and George Heriot, have been set up. Below the foundation-stone is a plate with an inscription, written by the late Lord Jeffrey, detailing the circumstances whihc led to the structure of the monument. Underneath the canopy of the monument is a large marble statue of Sir Walter Scott, by Steele, in a sitting posture, attended by his favourite dog Bevis."
Descriptive letterpress from the book 'Photographs of English and Scottish Scenery' by G W Wilson