St Ann's Square, Looking North
Photographer: Brothers, Alfred
Medium: Photographic print
"St. Ann's Square has experienced many transformations...The erection of St. Ann's Church in 1712, gave an impetus to building in the locality, and power was obtained to erect dwellings on the sides of the fair-ground...private residences have given way to public establishments, and buildings of modern style have taken the place of those on which the wealthier traders of Manchester dwelt during the reign of the Georges, though in one respect it remains the same - it is now, as of yore, the fashionable promenade, the lounging-place of the city, and, as a pleasant writer has expressed it, 'the chosen spot for accidental rencontres.'
In the centre of the Square, upon a lofty pedestal, is a bronze statue, by Marshall Wood, of the great apostle of Free Trade - Richard Cobden - erected by public subscription, and presented to the Corporation in the name of the Subscribers, by the late Mr. George Wilson, the chairman of the Anti-Corn-Law League, April 22, 1867."
Text by James Croston.