Photographer: Sedgfield, William Russell
Medium: Photographic print
"This village takes its name from its situation on the ancient Roman road called Ickneild Street, which here crossed the river by a ford, and was probably the site of a Roman station, as coins and other remains have frequently been found in the neighbourhood. The numerous tents which appear in the view are those of the volunteer encampment (August, 1867); the artillery may be distinguished on the left bank. The chalk downs behind Streatley are celebrated for coursing matches, and the woods on their slope are well known to botanists for the orchids which are found there, as also for the graceful Solomon's Seal (Convallaria multiflora), which, though a well-known plant in old-fashioned gardens, is rarely found wild...The village was formerly famous for a medicinal spring, which was long considered to be of sovereign efficacy in the cure of cutaneous complaints."
Descriptive letterpress from the book 'The Thames Illustrated by Photographs'