Photographer: Hudson, John
Medium: Photographic print
"Antrim is situated on far the most interesting part of the shores of Lough Neagh, and is the most important town contiguous to that vast sheet of water. The park of the Viscount Massareene, whose mansion adjoins the town, extends for two miles along the shores of the lake to the south; while that of Shane's Castle, the seat of the O'Neill's, stretches for three miles along its waters, to the west. Shane's Castle is the oldest, the largest, and the best wooded demesne in the north of Ireland; and, though its surface is generally flat, it possesses, from its situation, many features of beauty - nay, even of grandeur. it is enlivened by the main water, which runs through the centre of the demesne in its progress to the lake. In 1816, Shane's Castle, the residence of the O'Neill's for centuries, was acidentally burned - the plate and family papers only saved. A noble and very extensive library, and many very valuable and rare paintings were entirely destroyed. Previous to the destruction of the old building, which was a plain small structure, a magnificent addition was in progress. His lordship, however, fitted up a residence at a considerable distance from the castle, adjoining the offices, and abandoned to the ruthless hand of time the old castle and its unfinished appendages, save the large fortified esplanade and modern conservatory. Strangers have access to this demesne; and the views of the lake, the ruins, the extent of young and old plantations, and the associations connected with the place as the residence of the O'Neill's renders it interesting to the historian as well as to the admirer of rural scenery."
Descriptive letterpress from the book 'Photographs of the Giant's Causeway.'
Author not stated.