St Mary's Church, West, Clonmel
Photographer: Hemphill, William Despard
Medium: Photographic print
The parish church of Saint Mary's, Clonmel, is believed to have been built by William de Burgo in the 13th century. It was subject to major alterations in the 14th, 15th and 16th centuries and we learn from William Hemphill, "In 1857 the church was all but entirely rebuilt, from designs by Mr. Welland, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners' architect, in the pointed style of the 15th century. The chancel, with its fine flamboyant window, which for the elegant and graceful proportions of its tracery is not surpassed in the kingdom - the western gable and window, similar in tracery to the eastern window of Holycross Abbey - the octagon tower - a large square machiolated building, now occupied as a vestry-room - these, together with the porch, are the only remains of the previous structure."