South Aisle Of Trinity Chapel, AD 1182, With The Tomb Of Edward The Black Prince
Medium: Photographic print
Interior of the Trinity Chapel, at Canterbury Cathedral, which once held the Shrine of Saint Thomas a Becket. The cathedral was founded in 597 by Saint Augustine and rebuilt in the Romanesque style by its Norman Archbishop Lanfranc. In 1174 a fire gutted the cathedral choir. French architect William of Sens began reconstruction work on the choir and its extension eastwards to the Trinity Chapel and Corona in an early Gothic style. The work of William of Sens was completed by William the Englishman and it became of great subsequent influence in the development of English architecture. The tomb of Prince Edward, the Black Prince, faces in towards Trinity Chapel.