Screen Of The Choir, AD 1304, With Diaper Ornament
Medium: Photographic print
Detail of Prior Eastry's stone screen enclosing the choir at Canterbury Cathedral in Kent. "Prior Henry de Estria was elected in 1285, and died in 1331, and according to the obituary adorned the church and monastery with various works; amongst which, 'he decorated the choir of the church with most beautiful stone-work delicately carved.'" The cathedral was founded in 597 by Saint Augustine and rebuilt in the Romanesque style by its Norman Archbishop Lanfranc. In 1174 a fire destroyed much of choir, but during its subsequent reconstruction the outer walls of the choir aisles retained much that is early 12th century undamaged. Architects William of Sens and William the Englishman were responsible for the late 12th century rebuilding and eastward extension of the choir.
Text by Robert Willis