St Blane's Chapel, Bute
Photographer: Annan, Thomas
Medium: Photographic print
"There is likewise in Bute the chapel of St Blane, which appears to have been founded towards the close of the reign of Malcolm Canmore not later than the year 1100, and was probably erected on the site of an older shrine. St Blane is said to have flourished about the end of the sixth century, and is alleged to have been the nephew of St Cattan, who gave the name to the place Kilcattan. St Blane appears to have been well known in the thirteenth century, when Allan the Steuart of Scotland granted to the monks of Paisley the church of Kingarth in Bute...Little now remains of this most interesting monument of the early church (perhaps the oldest in Scotland south of the Friths), but the ruined walls, the east gable, and the arch between the chancel and the nave. Tradition asserts that the upper portion of the burying-ground was formed of consecrated earth, brought by St Blane from Rome; and it is added that the women having refused to assist in bringing the earth from the ships, or having spilled some of it by the way, their sex was denied the privilege of burial in the upper or consecrated portion of the ground; and it is recorded that in consequence of this superstition it was the practice to bury the males and females separately, and that this custom prevailed til 1661, when it was abolished by an order of the Presbytery."
Text from the book 'History of the County of Bute' by John Eaton Reid