Scott's Monument At Edinburgh
Photographer: Annan, Thomas (1829 - 1887)
Medium: Photographic print
View of the title page of an 1866 edition of Scott’s long narrative poem ‘Marmion: A Tale of Flodden Field’, illustrated with a photograph of the Sir Walter Scott Monument in Edinburgh. First published in 1808, ‘Marmion’ tells the story of the noble but arrogant Lord Marmion, a fictional 16th-century English knight in the time of Henry VIII, and the fate of his two loves Clara de Clare and Constance Beverley. Intertwined with this story is the antagonism between England and Scotland. When Henry VIII attempted to invade France, James IV declared war on England and led an invading army south. The poem takes its title and inspiration from the Battle of Flodden Field in Northumberland in 1513, at which James was killed with many of his Scottish nobles and thousands of his feudal army. This edition is illustrated with photographs by the Glasgow-based photographer Thomas Annan of sites in Northumberland and Scotland which feature in the poem.
Scott (1771-1832) was the Scottish author of immensely popular historical novels and poems. Their epic combination of history, chivalry, and romance was especially beloved by readers of the Victorian era. His monument in East Princes Street Gardens was erected between 1840 and 1846. It is a Gothic shrine in the form of a soaring sandstone steeple, designed by George Meikle Kemp and built by David Lind. 64 statues in the niches represent characters from Scott’s work. Its vault shelters a marble statue of the author with his deerhound Maida by his side, carved by John Steell.