South End Of The Nave, Interior
Photographer: Delamotte, Philip Henry (1820 - 1889)
Medium: Photographic print
Designed by Joseph Paxton to house the Great Exhibition of 1851 in Hyde Park, the Crystal Palace was reconstructed and enlarged in Sydenham, south London. The first column was raised on 5 August 1852 and the palace was opened by Queen Victoria on 10 June 1854. The building was a milestone in the development of modern architecture for its innovative use of wrought iron and glass, symbolic of English power both from a political and engineering standpoint. This arched window is made up of fan and flower shaped panes of glass at the south end of the nave of Crystal Palace.