Shaftesbury House, Aldersgate Street
Photographer: Dixon, Henry (1820 - 1892)
Medium: Photographic print
"Thanet House...is now known as Shaftesbury House. It was built about 1644 by Inigo Jones. This house has had varied fortunes. From the Earls of Thanet it passed to Anthny Ashley Cooper, afterwards first Earl of Shaftesbury, Dryden's 'Achitophel' and one of the Cabal Ministry, whence its present name. At the beginning of the eighteenth century it came again into the possession of the Thanet family, was afterwards an inn and a tavern, and in 1750 became a Lying-in-Hospital, and subsequently a Dispensary."
Letterpress by Alfred Marks from 'Photographs of Old London'.