S. Stephen's Hall
Photographer: Harrington, John
Medium: Photographic print
"S. Stephen's Hall occupies the site of, and is nearly of the same dimensions as, the old chapel of S. Stephen. This latter was founded by King Stephen as the Chapel Royal of the Palace, and was almost wholly rebuilt with great magnificence by Edward II. about the year 1330. It has, however, long been desecrated, having been appropriated to the use of Parliament for its sessions since the time of Henry IV. The fire of 1834 left it a complete wreck, and the present Hall was erected in its place. The bosses of its beautiful stone vault have subjects taken from the life of S. Stephen, and the windows are filled with similarly appropriate stained glass, from the studio of the well-known Messrs. John Hardman and Co., whose reputation in this branch of their art is world-wide; while its less sacred associations are commemoraated by a series of fine statues of our leading statesmen."
On the right of the photograph are marble effigies of Hampden, Selden, Walpole, Chatham, Pitt, and Grattan; on the left, Clarendon, Falkland, Somers, Mansfield, Fox and Burke.
Descriptive letterpress by John Harrington of Brighton from the book 'The Abbey and Palace of Westminster'