The Hoe Gate (Interior View)
Medium: Photographic print
View of Hoe Gate in Plymouth from the south or Hoe. The gate and drawbridge were built into the town wall by the people of Plymouth to protect their homes from French raids. R N Worth in his 'History of Plymouth' describes the route of the fortified wall: "The wall started from Sutton Pool at Coxside, ran through Friary Court and gardens to Whitefriars Lane; thence to the head of Gascoigne Street; then nearly east and west through the gardens behind Hewer's Row, by the north side of Ham Street, through the gardens of Park Street, to the head of Old Town Street; thence across what is now the Market to the Globe Hotel; and thence again through the Westwell Street churchyard to the head of Hoe Gate Street, and so to the Pool at the Barbican...Almost every vestige of the wall has now disappeared. Whilst removing a portion in Gascoigne Street in 1862 three skeletons were found."
After the Siege was raised the wall fell into disuse and gradually fell into ruin as the town expanded. The Hoe Gate survived until 1863.
Text by Richard Nicholls Worth from the book 'History of Plymouth'