The Remains Of The Friary
Medium: Photographic print
"The Carmelites, or White Friars, founded a Friary in 1313. There was something uncanonical in their settlement which Bishop Stapledon overlooked at the recommendation of Edward II, a great patron of the body. Their buildings were of a very extensive character, and their church was adorned with a high steeple. In it the commission on the Scrope and Grosvenor controversy sat, January 26th, 1387...The Friary occupied the site which still bears that name in Exeter Street. It passed through various hands after the dissolution, and was converted into an hospital for sick soldiers in the year 1794, when a great mortality prevailed among the troops detained at the port for the West India expedition. It was subsequently used as an infirmary for the troops stationed at Millbay and Frankfort Barracks. Portions were likewise occupied as dwellings, Friary Court not being one of the most aristocratic purlieus of Plymouth."
Text by Richard Nicholls Worth from the book 'History of Plymouth'