The Hospital Of Orphan's Aid
Medium: Photographic print
"The Hospital of Orphans' Aid was founded early in the seventeenth century by two members of a family which then and long afterwards occupied a leading position in the borough - Thomas and Nicholas Sherwell. The building which they erected in Catherine Street, opposite St. Andrew tower, bore date 1615. By deed-poll dated 17th July, 1617, the Sherwells appointed a governor, four assistants, two wardens, and certain poor persons; and it was intended that the hospital should contain not more than forty and not less than three boys, natives of Plymouth. The founders liberally endowed the charity; and in 1653 the Corporation, 'in consideration of £1400 (part of a greater sum due to the governors), agreed to convey to them a fourth part of the grist mills, malt mills, toll and mulcture of the inhabitants, the leat, and all the several closes, pieces or parcels of land, which were heretofore let to Sir Francis Drake, Knt., except Sour Pool, &c., and also of two new grist mills then lately built.' ...The hospital now occupies premises in Regent street."
Text by Richard Nicholls Worth from the book 'History of Plymouth'