The Hospital Of Poor's Portion
Medium: Photographic print
"From the peculiarity of its origin the Workhouse of Plymouth claims a place among the endowed charities of the town. It was originally founded as the Hospital of the Poor's Portion, by John Gayer, Abraham Colmer, and Edmund Fowel, in 'performance of the trust therein reposed by the then Mayor and Commonalty,' in May, 1630; and the first portion was erected immediately adjoining the Hospital of Orphans' Aid. The charity was endowed with houses and lands..." at Southside, White Street, Market Street, Catte Street, St. Catherine's Lane east, Loder's Lane, and Cross Down. The Hospital ceased to be a private charity in 1708, when an Act of Parliament transferred it to a Corporation of Guardians of the Poor.
Text by Richard Nicholls Worth from the book 'History of Plymouth'