Tintern; West Door and Window
Photographer: Sedgfield, W. Russell
Medium: Photographic print
“We entered the interior of the beautiful ruin in silence. No one ever enters the place without being deeply impressed by its noble proportions, and the classical grace and chastity of its architecture. This abbey church was built in 1131, and presents a fine specimen of the early-English style, blending into a more ornamented character, as later additions were made or changes introduced. The roof is gone, but the walls are entire; all the pillars, except those which divide the nave from the northern aisle, and the four lofty arches which supporting the tower spring high into the air, though reduced to narrow rims of stone, still preserve their original form. The western window, with its rich tracery, is extremely beautiful.”
Excerpt from “Tintern Abbey”, in ‘Ruined Abbeys and Castles of Great Britain’ by William and Mary Howitt.